COVID-19 Guidance for First Aid Trainers
Current guidance on delivering First Aid Training in respect of the COVID -19 virus has been issued by the UK Resuscitation Council.
Key points for trainers are:
- Learners need to observe a high standard of handwashing during the course.
- Learners who are exhibiting symptoms typical of flu, a cold, a cough or have been in close contact with someone who has the COVID-19 infection should exclude themselves from the course. Likewise if an individual has travelled to/from areas specified by the chief medical officer (Full list here).
- Wipe the chest, forehead and face of the manikin using disinfectant/alcohol wipes between learners and allow the surface to dry naturally before the next learner takes their turn
- Replace and dispose of manikin lungs and airways after each training session
- Students may use individual face shields or pocket mask if they so wish and they should be disposed of safely at the end of the session.
- Once the delivery of breaths has been assessed once they do not need to demonstrate this during the remainder of the course.
- Clean manikin heads with an appropriate disinfectant solution after completion of each training session.
Read the full statement issued by the UK Resuscitation Council regarding the delivery of first aid training in light of the current COVID-19 – click here
We will keep you updated if this advice changes over the coming weeks.